"Nonstop imagery is our surround, but when it comes to remembering, the photograph has the deeper bite....
In an era of information overload, the photograph..is like a quotation, or a maxim or proverb."
(Susan Sontag: Regarding the Pain of Others 2003)

09 April, 2008

Olympic Flame Progress...



I note from Facebook this morning that Nikhil, my 17-year old godson in Hong Kong, has joined a group entitled: "Attempt to extinguish Olympic Torch in Hong Kong". Not for the first time, I struggle with my conscience as regards what my younger FB friends are posting in relation to my long and close friendships with their parents... However, it does make one wonder whether like-minded kids around the world may actually manage to stop the Torch in its tracks (& it makes one proud that one's friends have raised such intelligent and aware kids...) The image is of the San Francisco protestors, scaling the Golden Gate Bridge. Could there be a better global billboard to get a message across?